[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Ryan Birmingham rainventions at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 00:37:11 EDT 2018

Discussions like this are always difficult and charged, but I think there's
a good opportunity for growth here.
I love being involved with the Python community for, among many other
reasons, I think Python is quite inclusive, especially as a technical
community.

However, I know that people often feel excluded from technical communities,
and I don't think that Python is an exception to that.

Referring to code as ugly doesn't bother me, but I could see how it could
bother others. I do also see how it's useful shorthand. I think that
there's some sort of balancing test that corresponds to making the decision
on not just this case, but others like it.

I know that this kind of decision is made all the time, however, I don't
see a PEP which seems to touch on anything like this. I think we need to
document it for the sake of transparency and consistency.

Forgetting for a moment the charged context of the conversation itself,
does anyone have any opinions on how this would come to be?

Thank you for reading and hopefully listening,
-Ryan Birmingham