[Python-ideas] async unittest.TestCase

David Shawley daveshawley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 07:23:14 EDT 2018

Sorry if this double posted but I got a bounce from
python-ideas at googlegroups.com the first time that I sent it.  I resent to
python-ideas at python.org.

On Oct 29, 2018, at 3:07 AM, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why not just use pytest?

I could use pytest or Martin Richard's asynctest[1].  I want the ability to
test asynchronous code without pulling in a 3rd party library.  I noticed
that a number of the libraries in https://github.com/aio-libs/ have their
own custom-rolled test support in addition to those that use pytest.

Now that the async/await syntax has landed, the Standard Library should
provide the ability to test event loop driven code.  This will remove at
least on barrier to entry for async/await based code -- you can simply
test it using unittest.

- cheers, dave.

[1]: https://github.com/Martiusweb/asynctest
--
"There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things." -- Phil Karlton