[Python-ideas] Debugging: some problems and possible solutions

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:10:21 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 6:33 PM Anders Hovmöller <boxed at killingar.net> wrote:

> Ah, yes. Thank you. So it works in CPython 2.7. But I'm curious, does it work in very old versions?
> I'm not saying that this is important, because language changes always are for new versions. However, Anders' claim that this not a language change seemed too broad to me.
> It may be that this change has very little cost, but it should not be dismissed.
>

> It works in:
>
> Python 1
> Python 2
> Python 3
> PyPy 6
> IronPython
> Jython
> micropython
>
> Are there more I should try?

I've no idea what you actually tried or what actually worked, since
you haven't shown your code. However, it doesn't matter. This IS a
language change, and it makes no difference how many implementations
are lax enough to permit it currently.

Citation: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2018-October/155437.html

It's just like a program assuming that there will always be a user
with UID 0, or assuming that every human being has a name that
consists of a given name and a family name, or assuming that data sent
across the internet will arrive unchanged. You can show millions,
billions, trillions of examples that support your assumption, but that
doesn't make any difference - the assumption is false as soon as there
is a single counter-example, or as soon as the specification is shown
to *permit* a counter-example.

ChrisA