[Python-ideas] Debugging: some problems and possible solutions

Anders Hovmöller boxed at killingar.net
Wed Oct 3 14:54:14 EDT 2018

>> Then I'm strongly -1 on it. Happy? :)
>
> And In case it's not clear why I said that, btw: It's not mere
> pedantry.

Good to see you understood yourself why that mail wasn't so good.

> By restating your proposal in those terms, you make it far
> broader than a simple textual transformation. Imagine if you'd said it
> like this:
>
> "Okay, let's be pedantic. As well as my other proposals, I'm also
> requiring that you be able to use 'a+b' as a variable name."
>
> That is most definitely not a simple proposal. And that means it
> should be discussed as a much much broader change: disconnecting
> keyword arguments from variable names. That should NOT just slide
> through as part of a separate change.

Imagine if I said something other totally irrelevant and that is bigger change indeed. But I didn't. I suggested not a change of CPython or PyPy or IronPython but a few sentences in a PEP. I also didn't suggest that it be snuck into the same PEP as my proposed syntax changes. I agree that would be bad. It should obviously be a separate PEP.

You could try first discussing the idea before requiring that I first state the legalese minutiae in exactly the right way before you even discuss the idea itself.

We're pretty far away from a PEP at this stage anyway so hold your horses. This is python-ideas@ after all, not pep-lawyering at .

I noticed you wouldn't take the bet too.

/ Anders