[Python-ideas] [Brainstorm] Testing with Documented ABCs

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 17:24:50 EST 2018

[Antoine Pitrou]

> How long do you think it will take your computer to exhaustively search
> the space of possible input values to a 2-integer addition function?
> Do you think it can finish before the Earth gets engulfed by the Sun?

Yes, ok. I used the word "exhaustively" wrong. Sorry about that.

I don't think humans are made of a magical substance that can exhaustively
search the space of possible pairs of integers before the heat-death of the
universe.
I think humans use strategies based, hopefully; in logic to come up with
test examples, and that it's often more valuable to capture said strategies
in code than to make a human run the algorithms. In cases where
domain-knowledge helps inform the search strategy, there should be
easy-to-use tools to build a domain-specific search strategy.