[Python-ideas] Proposal: A Reduce-Map Comprehension and a "last" builtin

Peter O'Connor peter.ed.oconnor at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:06:03 EDT 2018

To give this old horse a kick: The "given" syntax in the recent thread
could give a nice solution for the problem that started this thread.

Instead of my proposal of:
   smooth_signal = [average := (1-decay)*average + decay*x for x in signal
from average=0.]

We could use given for both the in-loop variable update and the variable
initialization:
   smooth_signal =  [average given average=(1-decay)*average + decay*x for
x in signal] given average=0.

This especially makes sense for the extended syntax, where my proposal of:
   (z, y := f(z, x) -> y for x in iter_x from z=initial_z)

Becomes:
    (y given z, y = f(z, x) for x in iter_x) given z=initial_z

So in stead of adding 2 symbols and a keyword, we just need to add the one
"given" keyword.

It's worth noting, as Serhiy pointed out, that this is already supported in
python, albeit with a very clunky syntax:

    smooth_signal = [average for average in [0] for x in signal for average
in [(1-decay)*average + decay*x]]

    (y for z in [initial_z] for x in iter_x for z, y in [f(z, x)])