[Python-ideas] String and bytes bitwise operations

Fri May 18 12:54:20 EDT 2018

On 5/18/18 12:32 PM, Chris Barker via Python-ideas wrote:
> actually, bytes are, well, bytes ;-) -- that is, 8 bits. But the point
> is that "bitwise" operations make all the sense in the world for
> bytes, but not for unicode text -- did anyone have a use case for
> bitwise operation on unicode strings? I can't imagine one, even if you
> could agree on a definition...

The one case I could think of is a very crude form of encryption.
Probably most makes sense if you assume the string is really just ASCII.
Not sure if that is a good enough case to be worth adding it, as often
you special case some characters (like control characters) to avoid
messing things up too much for display.

--
Richard Damon