[Python-ideas] Crazy idea: allow keywords as names in certain positions

Brice Parent contact at brice.xyz
Wed May 16 05:22:42 EDT 2018

I'm not half aware of the way everything works under the hood as the
vast majority here, but I have an idea. It possibly is technically
stupid when you really know how things work, but as I'm not sure, I'm
submitting it anyways:

Why not add the compatibility done at setup.py's level?

Like having something like this:

setup(
     name="LegacyLib",
     version="8.4.1",
     max_compatibility="3.4"  # Defining here Python's max version for
which this lib has been upgraded
)

Of course, we may use any other word instead of "max_compatibility",
like "designed_for", "python_version", or anything a better English
speaker could think of.

The point is, it would either:

- when you install the library, rename all variables that are now
keywords (we'd know the exact list thanks to max_compatiblity) by
suffixing them with "_"

- or set a flag that will do that when creating the *.pyc files.

Possible problems/limitations I can already find:

- There would still be possible errors when using variable names that
are generated on the fly (I have no clue how this could ever be addressed)
- It might get complicated at some point to know what to do, like when
we have lib_a in some version depending on lib_b (with or without a
max_compatibility version number), it is obvious that lib_a will use
lib_b's original variable names (without the appended "_"), but our code
which might also want to interact with lib_b would have to.

Is it plain stupid? Are there lots of things I didn't think of? Could it
be a possibility?

-Brice