[Python-ideas] Operator for inserting an element into a list

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 22:24:29 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 1:04 AM, Michael Selik <mike at selik.org> wrote:
[..]
> In case I need to clarify:
> 1. You're duplicating current clear and more flexible syntax.
> 2. Your proposed operators are confusing when compared with their meanings
> elsewhere.

what haven't we repeated in this thread yet? Motivation was explained.

About confusion probably haven't discussed : so Xor ^ works on sets,
IIRC for finding
union without common elements.
That's one point for potential confusion - probably expect it to work with list.
Sounds probable?

Other operator, e.g. bitshift <<,  I dont' think it has potential for confusion.
@ operator - currently 'free'.
But maybe there is some reserved plans for lists and these operators as well - I
don't know.
IIRC some time ago Steven D'Aprano proposed something with sets and some of the
operators (sorry in advance if that is wrong info, but I\m almost sure
there was a related
mathematical discussion with sets involved).