[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Nicholas Chammas nicholas.chammas at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 00:30:34 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:00 AM Nicholas Chammas <
> nicholas.chammas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Forgive me for being slow. I'm missing what's different in semantics
>> between the translation above and Chris's translation below:
>>

> You are VERY close now.  You have more SPAM, so yours is better:

<snipped>

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. I think Chris was referring to this in
an earlier message (when I made my first attempt at translating) when he
said:

> Aside from questions of repeated evaluation/assignment, yes. The broad
> semantics should be the same.

So the meaning of my translation matches the "intention" of the original
PEP 505 expression, but I see the danger in offering up such loose
translations. Getting the meaning right but missing important details (like
repeated evaluation) does not inspire confidence.