[Python-ideas] A better (simpler) approach to PEP 505

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 23 20:38:11 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 10:53:11AM -0700, Grégory Lielens wrote:

> The proto here swallow and short circuit on attribute error. Changing
> to do it on Noneness is easy, and you can choose between the two
> behavior: it's a strength compared to the operator approach.

Being able to choose between one desirable behaviour and one
undesirable, rejected behaviour is *not* a strength.

PEP 505 has a section explaining why catching AttributeError
is undesirable. I find the reasons it gives are compelling.

Can you explain why you reject the PEP's arguments against catching
AttributeError?

--
Steve