[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Grégory Lielens gregory.lielens at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:39:09 EDT 2018

Maybe it would help if you mention in which context you will benefit the
most? If the python sub-community related to this context agree "?? and
friends" is a good idea, then it will add weight to the proposal. Else,
probably better to forget it.

It seems related to JSON, but as I have never used it, it's a wild guess.

Anyway, it's a special pattern with deep attribute hierarchies, whose
traversal is shortcutted when one attribute happen to be None.
This is common, with 2 exception:
 -it's rare it's really deep, or then it is arbitrarily deep and you need a
procedural descent, not a fixed expression.
 -None break the descend, but then so does missing attributes.
You address the first with special syntax. not the second, so I suspect in
your case the second does not happen. Or rarely happen.

Hope this will help finding why some finds the ? operators add little,
while some others think they add enough to overcome python traditional
operator-averse nature.