[Python-ideas] Multi-core reference count garbage collection

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jul 21 09:03:36 EDT 2018

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 11:05:43AM +0100, Daniel Moisset wrote:

[snip interesting and informative discussion, thank you]

> @Steven D'Aprano: you mentioned soemthign about race conditions but I don't
> think this algorithm has any (the article you linked just said that doing
> refcounting in the traditional way and without synchronization in a multi
> core environment has race conditions, which is not what is being discussed
> here). Could you expand on this?

Certainly not. I already said that my view of this was very naive.

Now that I have a better understanding that Jonathan doesn't have a
specific issue to solve, other than "improved performance through better
ref counting", I'll most likely just sit back and lurk.

--
Steve