[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:05:36 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rodola at gmail.com> wrote:
 [ please trim quotes, you just quoted the entire PEP in your post ]
> With all due respect (and I am sorry for being “vocal” about a PEP once
> again) I find this simply ugly. To me this basically doesn’t look like
> python anymore, so a strong -1 from me.

I'd love to hear an explanation of WHY this doesn't look like Python
any more. For instance, is the + operator somehow wrong for Python,
and it should have been the word "add"? People complain about
proposals with words like these, but the best explanation I've ever
had is "well, Python uses words and this proposal uses punctuation".

Personally, I'm +0 on this. It'd be a few small wins here and there,
nothing huge, and I could easily live without it; but it's something
that I know some people will love.

ChrisA