[Python-ideas] Add regex pattern literal p""

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Fri Dec 28 09:54:00 EST 2018

I am a full -1 on this idea -
> Two shortcomings:
>
> 1, Elevating a class in a module (re.Pattern) to language level, this
> sounds not very natural.
> This makes Python looks like Perl.
>
> 2, We can't use regex module as a drop-in replacement: import regex as re
> IMHO, I would like to see regex module be adopted into stdlib after
> cutting off its "full case-folding" and "fuzzy matching" features.

Sorry for sounding over-reactive, but yes, this could make Python look
like Perl.

I think one full advantage of Python is exactly that regexps are
treated fairly, with
no special syntax. You call a function, or build an instance, and have
the regex power,
and that is it. And you can just plug any third-party regex module, and it will
work just like the one that is built-in the language.

This proposal at least keep the ' " ' quotes - so we don't end up like
Javascript which has a "squeashy regexy" thing that can sneak in
code and you are never sure when it is run, or even if it can be assigned
to a variable at all.

I am quite sure that if the mater is performance, a way to pickle, or
somehow store pre-compiled regexes can be found without requiring
special syntax.

And a 3rd shortcoming - flags can't be passed as parameters, and have
to be built-in the regexp themselves, further complicating the readability even
for very simple regular expressions.

Other than that it would not be much different from the ' f" ' strings
thing, indeed,