[Python-ideas] A GUI for beginners and experts alike

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Fri Aug 24 13:07:35 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-24 16:27, Mike Barnett wrote:
> Liking the comments Paul!

[snip]
> It has the call information about the Text widget and all the others.  Is this what you mean by a Signature?
>
> Text(Text,
>      scale=(None, None),
>      size=(None, None),
>      auto_size_text=None,
>      font=None,
>      text_color=None,
>      justification=None)
> .
>
> Text - The text that's displayed
> size - Element's size
> auto_size_text - Bool. Change width to match size of text
> font - Font name and size to use
> text_color - text color
> justification - Justification for the text. String - 'left', 'right', 'center'

Static text is usually called a "label" in the GUIs I've used, including
tkinter.

[snip]

> 2. Advanced features - how would I extend it if I have a need that it doesn't cover? For example, a canvas object or an image?
> I have Images.
> Don't have Canvas.  Any particular operations desired for the Canvas Element should I have one?

A canvas can contain images, lines and shapes, which is useful for
diagrams and drawings.

> 3. It doesn't seem to use native widgets (the buttons have a non-standard look on my Windows PC).
> The defaults can be easily changed.  The default buttons are the one widget that I modify from the system default.  The reason was that the system default is a gray button.  It pretty much matches the background.
>
> If you want your buttons to all look like the system default, slip this line of code at the top:
>
> sg.SetOptions(button_color=sg.COLOR_SYSTEM_DEFAULT)

Looking at the page on PyPI, those coloured buttons do look odd to me. I
think the default should be the system default.

Also, I think those buttons labelled "Submit" should be labelled "OK".