[Python-ideas] Does jargon make learning more difficult?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:02:30 EDT 2018

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Abe Dillon <abedillon at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Chris Angelico]
>>
>> > I've also argued that the very form of lambda expressions is noisier
>> > than it
>> > otherwise needs to be. It's not like noise is only distracting to novice
>> > developers.
>> Yes, you've asserted it. We've disputed it. You have yet to provide
>> real evidence.
>

> Why isn't my example comparing the pseudo code:
>
> hand = sorted(cards, by=card.suit)
>
> to the actual code:
>
> hand = sorted(cards, key=lambda card: card.suit)
>
> suitable to at least demonstrate the basic idea?

Because your form cannot possibly work without some additional
information. How is "by=card.suit" supposed to ACTUALLY WORK? As soon
as you make it work, you create extra noise all of your own - yaknow,
like saying that "card" is a parameter to the function. So maybe it
ain't just noise.

I'm done arguing. You aren't listening.

ChrisA