[Python-ideas] Does jargon make learning more difficult?

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 09:15:52 EDT 2018

On 22/08/18 07:11, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> "Wait wait wait!" should ideally never happen. In programming, surprises
> are not a good thing, and they're even less good when they are
> retroactive.
>
> "Ha, fooled you! You thought you were dealing with an eagerly evaluated
> expression, but it was a deferred function body declaration instead!
> Mwahahahaha!!!"

This, by the way, is why think using the same syntax for function
definition and generator definition was a mistake.  It's only when I
reach a "yield" statement that I realise my expectations for this code
are wrong.

(That was a decision made a long time ago, and I'm not fool enough to
think that there's any benefit in trying to change it now.  I can still
be a grumpy old man over it, though.)

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd