[Python-ideas] install pip packages from Python prompt

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 30 21:12:31 EDT 2017

It's not 100% clear to me how my proposal below would work within a
> Jupyter Notebook, so that would also be an angle worth looking into.

I'm -1 on this as I view it as a tooling issue, not a language issue.

Agreed. And for the tool at hand, the notebook already controls the python
interpreter— it could have a “package installer” that you could run from
the notebook, but NOT with python code in the notebook.

If the Jupyter developers though it as a good idea.

I also wouldn't want to tie Python-the-language to pip-the-tool so tightly.

Exactly, I really wouldn’t want my students pip installing stuff from side
the REPL in the conda-based environment I’ve set up for them....

-CHB