[Python-ideas] Why not picoseconds?

Stephan Houben stephanh42 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 03:46:00 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I realize this is a bit of a pet peeve of me, since
in my day job I sometimes get people complaining that
numerical data is "off" in the sixteenth significant digit
(i.e. it was stored as a double).

I have a bunch of favorite comparisons to make this clear
how accurate a "double" really is: you can measure the
distance to Neptune down to a millimeter with it, or
the time from the extinction of the dinosaurs until
now down to half-second resolution.

Unfortunately for my argument, measuring time is one
of the most accurate physical measurements we can make,
and the best of the best exceed double-precision accuracy.

For example, the best atomic clock
https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-have-broken-the-record-for-the-most-accurate-clock-ever-built
achieves a measurement uncertainty of 3e-18, which is about two order of
magnitudes more accurate than what double-precision gives you;
the latter runs out of steam at 2.2e-16.

So I realize there is obvious a strong need for (the illusion of)
such precise time keeping in the Python API <wink>.

Interestingly, that 2.2e-16 pretty much aligns with the accuracy of the
cesium atomic clocks which are currently used to *define* the second.
So we move to this new API, we should provide our own definition
of the second, since those rough SI seconds are just too imprecise for that.

Stephan