[Python-ideas] Looking for input to help with the pip situation

Tzu-ping Chung uranusjr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 02:17:04 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this thread and thought I this is a good chance I do some
advertisement. I was helping a friend doing Python tutorial and face a
somewhat similar situation with beginners using Windows. It is not
particularly difficult to teach them to use py, but with the vast majority
of resources not mentioning it, it’s a bit of a stretch to expect a
beginner to know when to substitute what command to what after they finish
the workshop. And a workshop is next to useless (in my opinion) if
attendees can’t somehow go on by themselves after the event.

Anyway, I eventually decide it is best if Windows users can mimic how
people run Python things on POSIX systems. The end product is this:

https://github.com/uranusjr/snafu

This works somehow like Homebrew and APT, but just for CPython. It allows
you to use almost all the familiar commands, like *python3*, *pip3*,
anything else you install with pip, on Windows. I made a conscious decision
to not include python, pip, etc. Although I agree “python” is better in the
long run, we are always stuck with the Python 2-3 situation for now, and
need a solution to *somehow* make the distinction. But from what I’ve
tested, everything else works as expected without much hassle.

The project is still in a very early stage (I only told a handful of
friends about it), and I’ve put up working on it recently because my day
job doesn’t allow me to think too much about it at the moment. But reading
this thread I hope this can provide some ideas to others, and maybe find
some interested people working with me on this issue.

Thanks!

TP

--
Tzu-ping Chung (@uranusjr)