[Python-ideas] generator vs iterator etc. (was: How assignment should work with generators?)

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 28 11:25:23 EST 2017

Given that we have this kind of arcane discussion fairly regularly (not
just in this thread), and it always makes my head spin, and it seems I'm
not the only one who gets confused:

How about having a module that provides functions such as

     isgenerator  isiterator  isiterable  etc.

or alternatively one function that would return a tuple/list of
categories that an object fell into e.g. ('iterator', 'iterable')

                     or a dictionary e.g. { 'iterator' : True,
'iterable' : True, 'generator' : False }.

(Bikeshed as appropriate, but providing a dict seems to make it easier
to add more things in future without breaking backward compatibility.)

Then those of us who are prepared to take care to be precise in our
language but could do with some help could use it to clarify our
thoughts.  And there should be less noise in the newsgroups from
pointless arguments about precisely what is what.  And I suspect it
would even have uses in "real" code.

Rob Cliffe