[Python-ideas] Repurpose `assert' into a general-purpose check

Elazar elazarg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:20:58 EST 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:08 PM Ivan Pozdeev via Python-ideas <
python-ideas at python.org> wrote:

> On 28.11.2017 16:36, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> > On 28 November 2017 at 15:41, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
> wrote:
> >> Apart from -O which disables assertions. But in any case, the best use
> >> of assertions is not checking things which the interpreter is going to
> >> do anyway, but checking things which the interpreter can not and does
> >> not check automatically: your program logic. There is no way that the
> >> Python interpreter is going to do this check automatically, unless I
> >> write the assertion:
> >>
> >> assert 0 <= r < abs(y)
> >>
> >> That is copied straight out of one of my functions.
> > I'll make the same observation I usually do each time one of these
> > threads comes up:
> >
> > * I'm opposed to making assert substantially different from the way it
> works now
> > * I'm in favour of adding a new "ensure()" builtin that encapsulates
> > the check-and-raise logic
> >
> > The reasons I prefer this approach:
> >
> > - assert is a statement *solely* so that the compiler can optimise it
> > out. If it's not optional,
> >    it doesn't need to be a statement any more
> Another benefit of a statement vs function is only evaluating the
> error-related arguments when there's an error

I'm not sure what the use case is, but it could be implemented easily as

    ensure(not hasattr(e, "exception")) or raise e.exception

... had "raise" been an expression, an idea repeatedly rejected here. It's
still implementable with a "throw()" function.

Elazar