[Python-ideas] Proposal to change Python version release cycle

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Nov 4 11:20:15 EDT 2017

On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 16:10:32 +0100
Wolfgang <tds333 at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Another possibility is to change only the versioning
> to major.minor instead of major.minor.patch. Then having
> a simpler versioning scheme for other Python implementations
> as only benefit (and the simplification to spell compatibility).

I think the versioning scheme is a red herring here.  The important
topic is when Python releases are cut and what kinds of changes they
are made of.

> Thinking if a change then is needed. :-) Marketing benefits?
> Don't know then.

I don't think there are any marketing benefits.  That might have been
true 10 years ago, but nowadays people are so used to staggering
increases in version numbers that they are not impressed anymore.

Besides, IMHO Python is well past the point where it needed a concerted
marketing effort to promote itself.

Regards

Antoine.