[Python-ideas] install pip packages from Python prompt

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Nov 1 18:08:28 EDT 2017

On 11/1/2017 5:47 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
> When pip installs a package into site_packages, does it at any point run
>   package-specific installation code?  setup.py?  More specifically, can
> pip install an IDLE extension. If so, I think installing pipgui should
> add 'x_pipgui.py' to idlelib, if it exists, and add a section to
> idlelib/config-extension.def.  Using the existing extension mechanism
> would be an alternative to patching IDLE to conditionally add pipgui to
> some menu.

I meant to add that using the existing extension mechanism would allow
pipgui to be run from 3.5 IDLE or even earlier, depending on how it is
coded and the tcl/tk installed on the machine.  Pipgui really needs ttk,
which requires tcl/tk >= 8.5, but that has been true on Python Windows
installs at least since 2.7.

--
Terry Jan Reedy