[Python-ideas] fnmatch.filter_false

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat May 20 09:28:57 EDT 2017

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 12:14:05PM -0400, Alex Walters wrote:
> Fnmath.filter works great.  To remind people what it does, it takes an
> iterable of strings and a pattern and returns a list of the strings that
> match the pattern.  And that is wonderful
>
> However, I often need to filter *out* the items that match the pattern (to
> ignore them).  In every project that I need this I end up copying the
> function out of the fnmatch library and adding 'not' to the test clause.  It
> would be wonderful if there was a filter_false version in the standard
> library.  Or in inversion Boolean option.  Or something, to stop from having
> to copy code every time I need to ignore files.

Since I haven't seen any substantial objections to this idea, I've
created an issue on the bug tracker, including a patch.

http://bugs.python.org/issue30413

Unfortunately I have no CPU cycles available to learn the new Github way
of doing things right now, somebody else will need to shepherd this
through the rest of the process (making a PR, doing a review, rejecting
or approving it, etc.)

--
Steve