[Python-ideas] fnmatch.filter_false

Alex Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Wed May 17 12:14:05 EDT 2017

Fnmath.filter works great.  To remind people what it does, it takes an
iterable of strings and a pattern and returns a list of the strings that
match the pattern.  And that is wonderful

However, I often need to filter *out* the items that match the pattern (to
ignore them).  In every project that I need this I end up copying the
function out of the fnmatch library and adding 'not' to the test clause.  It
would be wonderful if there was a filter_false version in the standard
library.  Or in inversion Boolean option.  Or something, to stop from having
to copy code every time I need to ignore files.