[Python-ideas] What about regexp string litterals : re".*" ?

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 11:39:19 EDT 2017

On 27.03.17 18:17, Simon D. wrote:
> After some french discussions about this idea, I subscribed here to
> suggest adding a new string litteral, for regexp, inspired by other
> types like : u"", r"", b"", br"", f""…
>
> The regexp string litteral could be represented by : re""
>
> It would ease the use of regexps in Python, allowing to have some regexp
> litterals, like in Perl or JavaScript.

There are several regular expression libraries for Python. One of them
is included in the stdlib, but this is not the first regular expression
library in the stdlib and may be not the last. Particular project can
choose using an alternative regular expression library (because it has
additional features or is faster for particular cases).