[Python-ideas] Third party module in standard library

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Thu Mar 23 04:45:12 EDT 2017

> On 22 Mar 2017, at 12:51, George Fischhof <george at fischhof.hu> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> I would like to ask You:
> What is the process to propose a module to be part of the standard library?
>
> I would like to propose the following modules:
> requests
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/requests <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/requests>

Thanks for the consideration, and we’re glad that you find Requests helpful. However, the Requests project is not interested in being part of the standard library for as long as it’s under active development. This LWN article provides a good summary of the discussion that was had at the 2015 Python Language Summit, which covers the arguments for and against: https://lwn.net/Articles/640838/ <https://lwn.net/Articles/640838/>.

We believe that the most important place to spend time is not adding more modules to the standard library, but making it easier to get hold of the best-in-class third-party modules.

Cory