[Python-ideas] Python 4: Concatenation

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 01:45:15 EDT 2017

On 30 June 2017 at 09:33, Soni L. <fakedme+py at gmail.com> wrote:
> Step 4. make it into python 4, since it breaks backwards compatibility.

If a Python 4.0 ever happens, it will abide by the usual feature
release compatibility restrictions (i.e. anything that it drops will
have gone through programmatic deprecation in preceding 3.x releases).
This means there won't be any abrupt changes in syntax or semantics
the way there were for the 3.0 transition.

http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2014/08/python-4000.html goes
into more detail on that topic (although some time after I wrote that
article, we decided that there probably *will* just be a 3.10, rather
than switching the numbering to 4.0)

Cheers,
Nick.