[Python-ideas] be upfront if you aren't willing to implement your own idea

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Jun 23 20:31:06 EDT 2017

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 at 13:10 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 June 2017 at 19:28, Brendan Barnwell <brenbarn at brenbarn.net> wrote:
> > So to put it succinctly, as someone who's found discussion on this list
> > interesting and valuable, I think there is value in having discussion
> about
> > "what would Python be like if this idea were implemented" even if we
> never
> > get very far with "how would we implement this idea in Python".  And I
> would
> > find it unfortunate if discussion of the former were prematurely
> restricted
> > by worries about the latter.
>
> No-one is proposing otherwise, just that people are open when starting
> a discussion as to whether they anticipate being able to follow
> through with an implementation if the idea meets with approval, or if
> they are simply making a suggestion that they hope someone else will
> take up. That's not too much to ask, nor does it in any way stifle
> reasonable discussion (it may discourage people who want to
> *deliberately* give the impression that they will do the work, but
> actually have no intention of doing so - but I hope there's no-one
> like that here and if there were, I'm happy with discouraging them).
>
> So I'm +1 on Brett's request.

+1 to what Paul and Guido said: people are welcome to have hypothetical
discussions here as long as they are upfront that it is hypothetical, but I
personally choose to ignore all discussions that don't involve discussing
the implementation of said idea (hence why learning that at the end is
frustrating for those of us who are trying to be pragmatic with our time).
Sorry if that wasn't clear enough in my original email where the
distinction between "Brett as list admin" and "Brett as list participant"
started and ended.