[Python-ideas] ImportError raised for a circular import

Mahmoud Hashemi mahmoud at hatnote.com
Sun Jun 18 14:47:11 EDT 2017

Barry, that kind of circular import is actually fine in many (if not most)
cases. Modules are immediately created and importable, thenincrementally
populated. The problem arises when you try to do something with contents of
the module that have not been populated, usually manifesting in the
AttributeError above.

If you'd like to test this yourself, I've made a tiny demo with a little
bit of documentation:
https://gist.github.com/mahmoud/32fd056a3d4d1cd03a4e8aeff6b5ee70

Long story short, circular imports can be a code smell, but they're by no
means universally an error condition. :)