[Python-ideas] Allow function to return multiple values

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jun 1 11:16:23 EDT 2017

On 06/01/2017 07:17 AM, joannah nanjekye wrote:

> Today I was writing an example snippet for the book and needed to write a function that returns two values something
> like this:
>
> def return_multiplevalues(num1, num2):
>       return num1, num2
>
>   I noticed that this actually returns a tuple of the values which I did not want in the first place.I wanted python to
> return two values in their own types so I can work with them as they are but here I was stuck with working around a tuple.

If you had a function that returned two values, how would you assign them?  Maybe something like:

   var1, var2 = return_multiplevalues(num1, num2)

?

That is exactly how Python works.

> I will appreciate discussing this. You may also bring to light any current way of returning multiple values from a
> function that I may not know of in python if there is.

While I am somewhat alarmed that you don't know this already after four years of Python programming, I greatly
appreciate you taking the time to find out.  Thank you.

--
~Ethan~