[Python-ideas] Fwd: Consider allowing the use of abstractmethod without metaclasses

Ivan Levkivskyi levkivskyi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 13:59:45 EDT 2017

On 20 July 2017 at 19:51, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM, Ivan Levkivskyi <levkivskyi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > To be honest, I am not very happy with addition of a new special class.
> > Imagine that the PEP 544 will be accepted (and I hope so).
> > Then we would have, abstract classes, abstract base classes, and
> protocols.
> > I think users will be overwhelmed by having
> > three similar concepts instead of one.
>
> Hmm, couldn't split protocol and ABC?

Unfortunately no, it was considered and rejected for various reasons (in
particular to provide smooth transition to protocols).

> > I think we still could squeeze a lot of performance from good old ABCs by
> > optimizing various parts and reimplementing some parts in C.
> > In fact, my desire to optimize and rewrite ABCMeta in C is partially due
> > reluctance to add yet another concept of "abstractness".
> >

> Even if it's implemented in C, issubclass implementation is much
> complicated
> than normal type.
> I don't want to introduce unnecessary complexity because I'm minimalist.

This complexity is already there, and attempt to reduce might lead to
actually an increase of complexity.
This is probably the case where I would be with Raymond in terms of
performance vs ease of maintenance.

--
Ivan