[Python-ideas] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Jan 12 10:50:04 EST 2017

Chris Barker writes:

 > 2) There are non-ascii file names, etc. on this supposedly ASCII system. In
 > which case, do folks expect their Python programs to find these issues and
 > raise errors? They may well expect that their Python program will not let
 > them try to save a non ASCII filename, for instance.

Actually, IME, just like you, they expect it to DTRT, which for *them*
is to save it in Shift-JIS or Alternativj or UTF-totally-whacked as
their other programs do.

 > So I see no downside to using utf-8 when the C locale is defined.

You don't have much incentive to look for one, and I doubt you have
the experience of the edge cases (if you do, please correct me), so
that does not surprise me.

I'm not saying there are such cases here, I just want a little time to
look harder.

Steve