[Python-ideas] Another use case for the 'lazy' (aka 'delayed') keyword

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Feb 28 11:54:18 EST 2017

On 28.02.2017 17:35, David Mertz wrote:
> Clearly there is SOME semantics that is consistent and coherent since many
> languages have either a lazy or eager declaration syntax, with different
> defaults between languages but both being built in.  There are a lot of
> ways that Python isn't Haskell, obviously.  But both Scheme and OCaml are
> eager by default with a lazy declaration (and Haskell or Miranda have an
> eager declaration correspondingly).
>
> It might be worth looking at their semantics in the PEP.

Scheme, for example, uses an explicit approach to turning
a promise into a value:

http://www.shido.info/lisp/scheme_lazy_e.html

This makes a lot of sense, but you can already have the
same in Python using generators.

Haskell is lazy by default, but this only works because you
can pass parameters by name rather than value.

https://wiki.haskell.org/Lazy_evaluation

In Python we only have pass by value (parameters to functions
get pushed onto the VM stack). Pass by name can also be had,
but requires explicit indirection, e.g. by using a generator
as wrapper.