[Python-ideas] math.nextafter

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Feb 24 20:29:15 EST 2017

Marc-André slightly misspelled the recent-ish addition of math.isclose(),
but I agree that it is absolutely where a "nextafter" belongs.

The function signature is already relatively complex to cover several
different but related use cases.  I.e.:

    is_close(a, b, *, rel_tol=1e-09, abs_tol=0.0) -> bool

I think an additional keyword-only argument for `nextafter_tol` (maybe a
different spelling) would fit very naturally there.  This would allow
someone to specify 1 for that degree of closeness, but it would also allow
them to specify some integer larger than 1 without needed to write a loop
calling `nextafter()` repeatedly.

Yours, David...