[Python-ideas] if in for-loop statement

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:33:32 EST 2017

On 23 February 2017 at 15:18, Henk-Jaap Wagenaar
<wagenaarhenkjaap at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for typing that all out and taking the time to respond to my emails.
> I think as you say, it might be good to put this somewhere obvious.
>
> I did find https://docs.python.org/devguide/langchanges.html and
> http://www.curiousefficiency.org/posts/2011/02/justifying-python-language-changes.html
> but the things you wrote would be useful to add the former (or be linked
> from there). It would also be good if there was a counter-point to that blog
> post of changes (like this one) that are not sufficiently thought through or
> significant enough to be accepted: it is always good to have examples on
> both sides.
>
> In terms of your "it keeps coming up", maybe there should be a general PEP
> (or something else) that simply outlines a bunch of ideas (and will be kept
> adding to) that keep cropping up but have been rejected/received
> unsympathetically many times? Including maybe links to these threads?
>
> Maybe that is something that could save you (and others subscribed) time and
> effort?

Ha. I never even *thought* of putting something like this in the
devguide. Thanks for the pointer. I'll try to make some time to polish
up my comments and put a PR together for that.

I've thought we should have some sort of "list info" page describing
things like this and giving some context for posters before now.
Possibly linked from the automatic footer the list adds. I don't know
who would be able to do something like that, though.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Paul