[Python-ideas] Delayed Execution via Keyword

Joseph Hackman josephhackman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 17:35:27 EST 2017

I think we should use the colon to make the delayed word (or whatever word
is selected), unambiguously used in this way (and to prevent any existing
code from breaking).

On 17 February 2017 at 17:09, David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:

> That was a problem with the colon that occurred to me. I think it can't be
> tokenized in function annotations.

I don't see any reason for delayed execution and function annotations to
mix. i.e.
def foo(delayed: bar):
    pass
would define a function that takes one argument, named delayed, of type bar.

> Plus I still think the no-colon looks better. But that's bikeshedding.
> Also other words are plausible. I like lazy even more than delayed, I
> think. Still, I'd love the construct whatever the exact spelling.

I'm not particularly married to delayed, but I don't know how to properly
vet this inside the community. I'm glad you like the proposal!

-Joseph