[Python-ideas] Contraction for "for x in range()"

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:25:23 EST 2017

I would be surprised if this hasn't been suggested many times before. It's
similar to Matlab's syntax:

for x = start:step:finish
    <do whatever>
end

Any such change would represent a large departure from normal python syntax
for dubious gain. In general, you can put any expression after the `in`
keyword so long as it evaluates to an iterable or an iterator. Your
specific proposal would break some perfectly valid code.

You could likely come up with some symbols that couldn't show up in
existing code, but it's usually better to use words instead of obscure
symbol notation to preserve the readability of Python rather than letting
it devolve into a concise, yet unreadable soup of symbols like Perl.