[Python-ideas] Unified TLS API for Python

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:17:16 EST 2017

On 2 February 2017 at 10:38, Cory Benfield <cory at lukasa.co.uk> wrote:
> This PEP would define a standard TLS interface in the form of a collection of
> abstract base classes. This interface would allow Python implementations and
> third-party libraries to provide bindings to TLS libraries other than OpenSSL
> that can be used by tools that expect the interface provided by the Python
> standard library, with the goal of reducing the dependence of the Python
> ecosystem on OpenSSL.

Most of the PEP went over my head, but what I understood looks well
thought out and sensible. Overall I'm +1 on this.

One thing that wasn't clear to me was the backward compatibility
implications. Will the existing ssl module and its API be retained, or
will it be modified/deprecated? Will Windows/OSX distributions of
Python ultimately stop shipping with OpenSSL included? From an end
user POV, I won't care (high level modules like asyncio, urllib[1],
http.client etc will be updated to transparently use the new
infrastructure) so I accept that this is something of an "internal"
and/or library author concern.

Thanks for putting the effort into this - people like me rely on
"other people" getting the security stuff right, and I appreciate the
work that those others like yourself put in for me.

Paul

[1] urllib wasn't actually a module noted as needing change. Was that
an omission, or is it simply because it defers the TLS stuff to the
lower levels like http.client?