[Python-ideas] PEP 550 v2

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 11:43:24 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 August 2017 at 00:25, Stefan Krah <stefan at bytereef.org> wrote:
>> Perhaps it would be possible to name the data structures by their functionality.
>> E.g. if ExecutionContext is a stack, use ExecutionStack?
>>
>> Or if the dynamic scope angle should be highlighted, perhaps ExecutionScope
>> or even DynamicScope.
>>
>> This sounds like bikeshedding, but I find it difficult to have ExecutionContext,
>> ContextItem, LocalContext in addition to the actual decimal.localcontext()
>> and PyDecContext.
>>
>> For example, should PyDecContext inherit from ContextItem?  I don't fully
>> understand. :-/
>
> Agreed, I don't think we have the terminology quite right yet.
>
> For "ContextItem" for example, we may actually be better off calling
> it "ContextKey", and have the methods be "ck.get_value()" and
> "ck.set_value()". That would get us closer to the POSIX TSS
> terminology, and emphasises that the objects themselves are best seen
> as opaque references to a key that lets you get and set the
> corresponding value in the active execution context.

With the confusion of what "empty ExecutionContext" and "ContextItem
is set to None by default", I tend to agree that "ContextKey" might be
a better name.

A default for "ContextKey" means something that will be returned if
the lookup failed, plain and simple.

> I do think we should stick with "context" rather than bringing dynamic
> scopes into the mix - while dynamic scoping *is* an accurate term for
> what we're doing at a computer science level, Python itself tends to
> reserve the term scoping for the way the compiler resolves names,
> which we're deliberately *not* touching here.

+1, I feel the same about this.

> Avoiding a naming collision with decimal.localcontext() would also be desirable.

The ContextItem (or ContextKey) that decimal will be using will be an
implementation detail, and it must not be exposed to the public API of
the module.

> Yury, what do you think about moving the ExecutionContext name to what
> the PEP currently calls LocalContext, and renaming the current
> ExecutionContext type to ExecutionContextChain?

While I think that the naming issue is important, the API that will be
used most of the time is ContextItem.  That's the name in the
spotlight.

> The latter name then hints at the collections.ChainMap style behaviour
> of ck.get_value() lookups, without making any particular claims about
> what the internal implementation data structures actually are.
>
> The run methods could then be sys.run_with_context_chain() (to ignore
> the current context entirely and use a completely separate context
> chain) and sys.run_with_active_context() (to append a single execution
> context onto the end of the current context chain)

sys.run_with_context_chain and sys.run_with_active_context sound
*really* confusing to me.  Maybe it's because I spent too much time
thinking about the current PEP 550 naming.

To be honest, I really like Execution Context and Local Context names.
I'm curious if other people are confused with them.

Yury