[Python-ideas] from __pip__ import

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Sep 19 21:50:40 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 05:06:50PM -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 09/19/2016 04:38 PM, אלעזר wrote:
>
> >I was talking specifically about advanced courses, in which an assignment
> > is "implement a side-channel attack using data" and you can use whatever
> > library you like.
>
> Am I misunderstanding, or did you just say you want this new functionality
> in order to implement attacks on people's computers?

I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted Elazar.

He was talking about an advanced programming course where the course
allows the students to use any library they like. The "side-channel
attack" part just happened to be an example (I think a particularly
poorly thought out example, but nevermind).

The idea is that the student writes:

from __pip__ import somepackage

in their script, and the examiner merely needs to run their script in
order to have somepackage automatically installed. (I really, really,
REALLY hope that the examiner runs their code in a sandbox.)

I'm not sure how this reconciles with Elazar's earlier use-case that
this feature is for the benefit of *beginners*. Presumably the examiner
of an advanced programming course should be able to cope with installing
a package. I would expect that for such an advanced course, being able
to deal with external dependencies should be part of the assignment:

"If your lecturer cannot work out what dependencies are needed by your
project, because you haven't documented it or provided an installer,
then you will fail the assignment."

--
Steve