[Python-ideas] Non-ASCII in Python syntax? [was: Null coalescing operator]

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sun Oct 30 21:19:58 EDT 2016

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > I see that Perl is leading the way here, supporting a large number of
 > Unicode symbols:
 >
 > https://docs.perl6.org/language/unicode_entry.html

In what sense is that "support"?  What I see on that page is a lot of
advice for the kind of people who are already using non-ASCII in
Python, as I have been doing since 2001 or so.

 > I must say that it is kinda cute that Perl6 does the right thing for x².

Uh, as far as I can tell from that page, Perl has absolutely nothing
to do with that.  You enter the Unicode code point as hex, and if the
font supports, you get the character.  What Paul is arguing is that
entering any character, non-ASCII or ASCII, as a hex code point or as
an Alt+digits sequence, is a non-starter for our audience.  Much as
I'd like to disagree, I can't.