[Python-ideas] Smart/Curly Quote Marks and cPython

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 18:34:25 EDT 2016

On 27 October 2016 at 21:40, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2016, at 14:28, Mikhail V wrote:
>> So you need umlauts to describe an algorithm and to explain yourself in
>> turkish?
>> Cool story. Poor uncle Garamond spins in his coffin...
>
> Why do you need 26 letters? The Romans didn't have so many. Hawaiian
> gets by with half as many - even if you count the accented vowels and
> the ʻokina it's still only 18.
>
> Why upper and lower case? Do we *really* need digits, can't we just use
> the first ten letters?
>
> Allowing each language to use its own alphabet, even if any of them may
> be inefficient and all of them together certainly are, is the only
> reasonable place to draw the line.

Hi Random,

Yes that is what I am trying to tell, but some paint
a "bigot" of me.
So there is no contradiction here. You know you "local"
script and you know Latin. So it belongs to my human
right if I want to choose a more effective one, so
since Latin is most effective now, I take it.
Simply like I take a wheel without defects and with
tight pressure in tyre. I don't have emotions
or sadness that I will forget my strange old
letters.
And if we return to problem of universal
communication "kind of standard"
then what the sense to take a defect wheel?
I am not the one to allow or disallow anything,
but I respect the works of Garamond and his predecessors
who made it possible for me to read without pain in eyes
and I disrespect attempts to ruin it. And beleive me,
it is *very* easy to ruin it all by putting umlauts and accents,
just like putting stones in the tyre.

Mikhail