[Python-ideas] Smart/Curly Quote Marks and cPython

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 20:10:42 EDT 2016

On 27 October 2016 at 01:13, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 03:37:54AM +0200, Mikhail V wrote:
>
>> Extended ASCII
>
> There are over 200 different, mutually incompatible, so-called
> "extended ASCII" code pages and encodings.
>
> And of course it is ludicruous to think that you can fit all the world's
> characters into only 8-bits. There are more than 40,000 just from China
> alone, which makes it impossible to fit into 16-bits.
>

>> So we all must repent now and get back to 8-bit charcters.
>
> Please stop wasting everyone's time trying to set the clock back to the
> 1980s.

In 1980 I was not even born. Would be an intersting experience to set the clock
to the time where you did not exist 8-\.

And what is so bad in having, say 2 tables:
1) what is now considered as standard unicode
2) a table with characters that are reasonably valuable
and cover 99% of all programming, communuication and typography in latin script

???

And where did I say I want to fit all possible chars in 8-bit?
All possible chars = infinite amount of chars.

Mikhail