[Python-ideas] please try to keep things civil

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Oct 21 16:04:20 EDT 2016

On 10/21/16 3:13 PM, Mark Lawrence via Python-ideas wrote:
> On 17/10/2016 19:29, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 at 09:39 Mark Lawrence via Python-ideas
>> <python-ideas at python.org
>> <mailto:python-ideas at python.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 16/10/2016 16:41, Mariatta Wijaya wrote:
>>     >>Her reaction was hilarious:
>>     >>
>>     >>"Whom does he teach? Children?"
>>     >
>>     > I sense mockery in your email, and it does not conform to the
>> PSF code
>>     > of conduct. Please read the CoC before posting in this mailing
>>     list. The
>>     > link is available at the bottom of every python mailing list
>>     > email.https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
>>     > <https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/>
>>     > I don't find teaching children is a laughing matter, neither is
>>     the idea
>>     > of children learning to code.
>>     > In Canada, we have initiatives like Girls Learning Code and Kids
>>     > Learning Code. I mentored in a couple of those events and the
>> students
>>     > are girls aged 8-14. They surprised me with their abilities to
>>     learn. I
>>     > would suggest looking for such mentoring opportunities in your
>> area to
>>     > gain appreciation with this regard.
>>     > Thanks.
>>     > (Sorry to derail everyone from the topic of list comprehension.
>> Please
>>     > continue!)
>>     >

>>     The RUE was allowed to insult the community for years and got
>> away with
>>     it.
>>
>> What is the "RUE"?
>
> Not what, who, the Resident Unicode Expert who spent two years spewing
> his insults at the entire Python community until the moderators
> finally woke up, did their job, and kicked him into touch.
The person in question was insisting that Python's Unicode handling was
broken, but could never produce an example of broken behavior, only
surprising (to him) timings and memory usage.  He jumped into threads
about Unicode for years, making the same unsubstantiated claims.

Mark, I know you viewed "Python is broken" as an insult to the
maintainers, but others do not.  He certainly never singled out any
individual for abuse.

>>       I'm autistic, stepped across the line, and got hammered.
>> Hypocrisy
>>     at its best.
You were chastised for making direct personal insults, for example, as
you are doing to Marietta below.

>> While some of us know your background, Mark, not everyone on this list
>> does as people join at different times, so please try to give the
>> benefit of the doubt to people. Marietta obviously takes how children
>> are reflected personally and was trying to point out that fact. I don't
>> think she meant for the CoC reference to come off as threatening, just
>> to back up why she was taking the time out to speak up that she was
>> upset by what was said.
>>

> This list is irrelevant.  The PSF has to be consistent across all of
> its lists. Who the hell is Marietta, I don't recall a single post from
> her in 16 years of using Python?

The fact that you haven't seen a post from Marietta before is
irrelevant. She is new to this list, and has been traveling in different
Python circles than you have.  That doesn't make her less of a member of
this community, and it doesn't diminish her point.  Your vitriol towards
her diminishes yours.

--Ned.