[Python-ideas] Proposal for default character representation

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Oct 15 07:50:14 EDT 2016

On 14.10.2016 10:26, Serhiy Storchaka wrote:
> On 13.10.16 17:50, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> Solution: Abolish most of the control characters. Let's define a brand
>> new character encoding with no "alphabetical garbage". These
>> characters will be sufficient for everyone:
>>
>> * [2] Formatting characters: space, newline. Everything else can go.
>> * [8] Digits: 01234567
>> * [26] Lower case Latin letters a-z
>> * [2] Vital social media characters: # (now officially called
>> "HASHTAG"), @
>> * [2] Can't-type-URLs-without-them: colon, slash (now called both
>> "SLASH" and "BACKSLASH")
>>
>> That's 40 characters that should cover all the important things anyone
>> does - namely, Twitter, Facebook, and email. We don't need punctuation
>> or capitalization, as they're dying arts and just make you look
>> pretentious.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEC_Radix-50

And then we store Python identifiers in a single 64-bit word,
allow at most 20 chars per identifier and use the remaining
bits for cool things like type information :-)

Not a bad idea, really.

But then again: even microbits support Unicode these days, so
apparently there isn't much need for such memory footprint
optimizations anymore.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Oct 15 2016)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/