[Python-ideas] Proposal for default character representation

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 05:41:27 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>> I know people who can read bash scripts
>> fast, but would you claim that bash syntax can be
>> any good compared to Python syntax?
>

> For the things that bash was designed to be good for,
> yes, it can. Python wins for anything beyond very
> simple programming, but bash wasn't designed for that.
> (The fact that some people use it that way says more
> about their dogged persistence in the face of
> adversity than it does about bash.)

And any time I look at a large and complex bash script and say "this
needs to be a Python script" or "this would be better done in Pike" or
whatever, I end up missing the convenient syntax of piping one thing
into another. Shell scripting languages are the undisputed kings of
process management.

ChrisA