[Python-ideas] Proposal for default character representation

Brendan Barnwell brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Wed Oct 12 22:18:11 EDT 2016

On 2016-10-12 18:56, Mikhail V wrote:
> Please don't mix the readability and personal habit, which previuos
> repliers seems to do as well. Those two things has nothing
> to do with each other.

	You keep saying this, but it's quite incorrect.  The usage of decimal
notation is itself just a convention, and the only reason it's easy for
you (and for many other people) is because you're used to it.  If you
had grown up using only hexadecimal or binary, you would find decimal
awkward.  There is nothing objectively better about base 10 than any
other place-value numbering system.  Decimal is just a habit.

	Now, it's true that base-10 is at this point effectively universal
across human societies, and that gives it a certain claim to primacy.
But base-16 (along with base 2) is also quite common in computing
contexts.  Saying we should dump hex notation because everyone
understands decimal is like saying that all signs in Prague should only
be printed in English because there are more English speakers in the
entire world than Czech speakers.  But that ignores the fact that there
are more Czech speakers *in Prague*.  Likewise, decimal may be more
common as an overall numerical notation, but when it comes to referring
to Unicode code points, hexadecimal is far and away more common.

	Just look at the Wikipedia page for Unicode, which says: "Normally a
Unicode code point is referred to by writing "U+" followed by its
hexadecimal number."  That's it.  You'll find the same thing on
unicode.org.  The unicode code point is hardly even a number in the
usual sense; it's just a label that identifies the character.  If you
have an issue with using hex to represent unicode code points, your
issue goes way beyond Python, and you need to take it up with the
Unicode consortium.  (Good luck with that.)

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no